Winter In Lubec

Lubec Twilight

This winter has been a difficult one. Too much snow, you ask? Nope. Too cold? Not really. It's just been so incredibly unphotogenic! We'll get a snow storm, but it will turn to rain by the end of the storm, leaving an ugly, slushy mess in its wake. This has happened multiple times. We've had no sea smoke this year, as we had last year during a particularly cold three week stretch, and we've had none of those snows that start at night and are gone by morning, leaving a winter wonderland behind. All we have is a fairly dead, brown, muddy landscape. But I was itching to get out and shoot.

So a couple of weeks ago, I decided I'd head down east to Lubec, with hopes that the weather would bless me with some fresh snow. I had visions of that candy-cane striped lighthouse, with a powdered sugar-like blanket of snow as the sun rose to the east. As I planned the trip, the weather report looked promising. The day I planned to arrive, initial reports showed 1-3 inches of snow falling. Unfortunately, as the trip got closer the report changed. While the temperatures were going to be cold, and there would be considerable wind, there would be no snow.

I was determined to make the best of it, so I hoped there'd be some ice somewhere, or at the very least I'd get some amazing light. My first morning there, I rose at about 3:30am. Milky Way season is just beginning, and it was supposed to start rising around 4am. I made my way to Quoddy Head State Park and headed to a spot I thought would be good for the Milky Way. It was bitter cold- about 14 degrees with a 10mph wind. I was bundled up and felt pretty good, but the Milky Way stood me up. I used two different apps to pinpoint its location, but it wasn't to be found. With sunrise about 2 hours away, I made do with trying to shoot starry skies, but I was disappointed in most of those shots. One can be seen here.

As the sun started to rise, and I could see more of the landscape, I started to find opportunities. There was ice all over the rocky shoreline, and with the warm light radiating from the sun, I decided to take full advantage. I scrambled around on the rocks for the next two hours, in the cold, and made several photos. I only fell on my ass once (the camera and lens didn't touch the ground thankfully), and other than the cold wind, it was a beautiful morning. As I was walking out of the park, I came across one other hearty photographer who had driven up from Pennsylvania and was photographing the lighthouse. We spoke for a few moments before we both opted for warmer environs. I decided breakfast was in order, and headed to HD's Shore Thing, a great place the locals meet for breakfast every day it seems. It was the perfect way to end the start of my day!